8. Try one new Omaha bar or restaurant each month. We love our city, but tend to go to our old favorite places all the time. Time to branch out.
I haven’t been very good about blogging about these restaurant excursions, but actually, in addition to Kitchen Table, Block 16, and all our new friends in Benson, we’ve done a good job of branching out in the way of restaurants this year.
New-to-us places we’ve tried this past year include:
- Wilson & Washburn – Good happy hour and fries. I’d like to try their beet burger.
- Avoli Osteria – Um, AMAZING. I’ve heard that it’s the best food in Omaha right now, and I wouldn’t have much of a case for disagreeing. Get your boss to pay if at all possible, cause she ain’t cheap.
- Taco Truck on Saddle Creek – Darn good tacos on the cheap. (pictured above)
- Rivera’s Mexican – our company that night was far better than the food which was just okay, and the atmosphere was terrible. The tile floor and crowded tables made it almost impossible to have conversation.
- The new Bread Oven – I have such fond memories of the old Bread Oven, but the new one’s food seems at least up to par with the old.
- Railcar – Okay, not amazing.
- Salt 88 – Better than I was expecting, actually. Too far away to make our regular rotation.
- Heartland BBQ – Come to mama. That brisket is to die for.